3/26/2018

Quick Copic Coloring

Happy Monday!  Today's card was made for the Fusion card challenge and features some very quick coloring.  I colored the three main images on this card in under twenty minutes.

Here is the posted challenge:
I've been pretty busy this past week so I wanted to make a fairly quick card for today.  I decided to participate in this challenge as I have this stamp set that I had never used and is PERFECT, and the colors and the layout pretty are pretty much pre-determined by the challenge.

When I color, I often try to make the shading ultra smooth and I think about things like light source and shadows.  Sometimes I just don't have much time to color, or the image doesn't really need a lot of attention to detail.  Like the images here.  As I began coloring this little person I realized she (or he) was so stylized that trying to be ultra realistic probably didn't matter much.  Getting some shading on her to give dimension was really all that was needed.  And it went much faster!

When coloring I sometimes ask myself  "what's fake about this?"  If the answer is "just about everything - he has no mouth, dots for eyes and he's holding an umbrella for a bear in a slicker" then I know that taking some liberties with things like shading and light source probably won't detract from the realism or lack thereof.  In this case I picked a random light source (front, lower) and went with it.  To be completely accurate, I would have had to think about things like the cast shadow from the umbrella, etc. and it just wasn't worth the time for an image as stylized as this.

Don't get me wrong, focusing on details does kick your coloring up a notch and can really make a difference.  Most images look gorgeous when colored in fine detail with all the correct shadows.  And I love coloring this way.  But many of the images we color are stylized and finding YOUR style and way to color is what makes your projects uniquely you!

To finish this project, I used Distress Oxide inks and a stencil to create a cloudy background which I sprinkled with water.  The sentiment is heat embossed in white.  When I realized that it was slightly off center in the tag I added some enamel raindrops to it.  This fools the eye into making it look more centered by taking up the extra space.

Stamps and Dies: Mama Elephant CHance of Rain
Dies:  MFT Tag Builder and Stitched Rectangles
Copics: Slicker Y13,Y15, Y17, Y19; Umbrella RV10, RV11, RV13, RV14; Skin E000, E11; Hair E21, E25, E29; Bear E33, E34, E37, E39, Blender
Accessories: Stampin' Up! Glitter and Clear Epoxy Shapes

Thanks for visiting today!  Click here to sign up for email notifications of future posts  (you will be sent an email to verify your address - don't forget this step).  Follow me on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest.



post signature

2 comments:

  1. What a sweet card! Thanks so much for playing along with our challenge at Fusion :)

    ReplyDelete