3/27/2018

Coloring with Polychromos Pencils

Hi everyone! It's Tuesday and another challenge at CAS Colours & Sketches.  For today's sketch challenge I used my brand new Polychromos pencils!  YAY!  I was sooo excited to get them in time to use this weekend.
This is the sketch that was posted:
I picked my paper first intending to use it for the banner and choosing my image colors from that.  After coloring the image I didn't like it on the patterned banner, so I went with a solid banner and used the pattern for the background.  Normally I like solid colors for the background on a CAS card but this pattern is not too fussy or busy so I feel it works.
This is my first time I've colored with the Polychromos pencils.  I've used Prismacolors for over 30 years.  But I received an Amazon gift card for Christmas and just couldn't wait any longer.  My first impression is that they are as nice as the Prismacolors, but not necessarily better.  They are oil based while the Prismacolors are wax based.  I am able to get a smoother blend with the Prismacolors but that may be because I'm used to them.  These still blended very well, but I do notice that I see more of my pencil marks with them.  I did not lay down a base of Copic markers as I often do with the Prismacolors.  This always gives a good undertone base to the colors and helps smooth things out.

I liked the feel of the pencil in my hand - it has a nice weight.  And as for colors, there is a good variety although at first glance it seems there aren't as many neutrals as the Prismacolors.  (I have full sets of each - 150 Prismacolors vs 120 Polychromos - but I did not count how many of each color family there are.)

Overall, I'm very happy with my purchase.  I'll keep you updated on how I feel about them and may even try a side by side comparison!

Stamps: Stamping Bella Snapshots - Lean on Me; MFT You Make My Heart Melt
Dies: Stamping Bella Polaroid; MFT Tall Tag Duo and Blueprints 29

Thanks for visiting today and consider joining us at the challenge!  Click here to sign up for email notifications of future posts  (you will be sent an email to verify your address - don't forget this step).  Follow me on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest.


post signature

8 comments:

  1. This is so sweet, Jeanne! It reminds me of my best friend. I so miss her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your coloring is awesome, Jeanne! Love the colors you chose and your gorgeous card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ack - you are so good at coloring - love the depth!! I like the wonky set of the pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome coloring with Polychromos pencils, Jeanne! I got my first box of Prismacolor pencils months ago, but I haven't used them for card making. Your wonderful coloring made me have desires to use my Prismacolors!🤣🤣🤣

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - fantastic coloring job here! I like how the tilted elements play into the "lean" in the sentiment. Super card!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE this design. Your choice of background paired with the framed beautiful image, stunning colouring and sentiment is perfect. So inspiring. Hugs Bev x

    ReplyDelete