3/29/2018

3-D Thursday Shaker Card (with Watercolor Pencils)

As promised, some of my 3-D Thursday cards will be more interactive than 3-D.  And today's card is a shaker card. Technically, a shaker card is three dimensional since you have to have some height for the shaker elements.
The image on this is part of Stamping Bella's recent release.  I LOVE these butterfly Tiny Townies - so pretty!  I colored this one using Derwent watercolor pencils.  I wanted a real soft feel, so in addition to the watercolor pencils, I used paper with that same look.
Usually the backgrounds of my shakers are solid but I liked the way the watercolor flowers give this card a fairy garden quality.  The wreath die adds to the effect.

The inside of a shaker is always hard for me. Deciding how much filling is needed can be tough. It seems I either have too much and it is one big wad, or not enough and the filling lands in the corners and can't be seen.  I tried a few new techniques here that seemed to alleviate some of this.

To make my shaker "box", I used a skinny foam strip (about 1/8 inch wide) that I could bend into a circle that closely followed my opening, rather than just taping a square or clunky shape with straight sides.  This allows very little corner room for the shaker sequins.  The next technique I picked up from one of Jennifer McGuire's videos.  I glued a few sequins to the background at various places.  This gives the other sequins places to "sit" after you shake it, rather than all fall to the bottom.  It really helps!
My last step was to add my butterfly gril to the card. I used a shimmer pen to add some glimmer to the flowers in her hair and the edges of her wings.  Kind of hard to see here but it does sparkle in person.

Stamps: Stamping Bella Tiny Townie Butterfly Girl Bess (and matching die); Stamping Bella Butterfly Sentiments
Dies: MFT Tag Builder, MFT Circles, Cottage Cutz Spring Wreath
Pencils: Derwent Watercolor Pencils
 
Thanks for visiting today!  Click here to sign up for email notifications of future posts  (you will be sent an email to verify your address - don't forget this step).  Follow me on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest.


post signature

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for all the details Jeanne, everything about your card is wonderful. Thank you for sharing your talent, I always learn something new from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeanne, what a beautiful and darling card, and thanks for the great details and tips about making shaker cards. I still have not yet dared make one yet. But perhaps I shall. Beautiful work, as always! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete