7/31/2018

A Banner Birthday

Happy Tuesday!  Today is the last challenge for July at CAS Colours & Sketches and since it's the fifth Tuesday of the month it's a double challenge - both colors and sketches.  As challenge hostess, I got to pick both from retired sketches and retired colors.  I decided upon a sketch that had a banner across it.  I think that subconsciously I knew I wanted to use a specific die that I had in my stash and never used and this sketch was perfect for it.  And the colors I chose are among my favorite retired In-Colors.
Although this stamp set is called Birthday Chicks made them into robins.  At least I think they're robins - not quite a red chest but close enough.  I used Copic markers and color matched the colors.

For the banner, I cut it using two different colors.  Then I cut the banner from the top of the bottom panel.
And slipped the banner right in.
At first I was going to lay the banner on top and cut the curve by hand - this way was MUCH easier!  I just had to snip off the excess on the sides.
When it came time to assemble I used a stack of five Baked Brown Sugar ovals underneath the white oval instead of foam dots.  I really like the look of this as it adds a little color and there are no gaps.  (Of course the downside is that if you are mailing the card it adds weight.)  Since this made the oval stand up quite a bit I was hesitant about how to adhere the die cut birds.  Foam dots would make them a bit too high and I didn't want them flat.  I ended up die cutting two more of each shape from white card stock.  This gave just enough height.

Stamps and Dies:  MFT BB Birthday Chicks
Dies: MFT Party Banner and Inside Out Stitched Ovals
Copic Markers: Pistachio Pudding - G0000, YG11, YG41, Strawberry Slush - RV14, RV13, RV10; Baked Brown Sugar - E57, E55, E53, E50

Thanks for visiting today!  Click here to sign up for email notifications of future posts  (you will be sent an email to verify your address - don't forget this step).  Follow me on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest.


post signature

4 comments:

  1. Really cute card and thanks for the tip on using stacked images instead of foam dots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable card! I love how you did the die-cutting - I need to remember that trick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply adorable! Beautiful colouring and fabulous die cutting technique! Hugs Bev x

    ReplyDelete