3/08/2021

Tiki Hut Birdhouse

What's more fun than a tiki themed card? One that's shaped card (always impressive) and has a surprise element (always fun)!

I used the Stamps of Life 5 x 7 Birdhouse Fold-It die as the base.  The Fold-It dies allow you to easily make shaped cards.  Most fit in A2 envelopes but this one is a bit larger.  The die creates a regular birdhouse which can be decorated for any occasion. I went tropical with mine.

Two items that make this extra special - the fun, handmade sign and the surprise parrot. For the sign, I stamped "aloha" on vanilla cardstock and then free-styled the sign.  I used snips to cut it out, not being super careful because I wanted it to look weathered.  After inking the edges I folded some "planks" and inked along those edges to make it look like wood.  Then I hung my sign using twine so it swings.

For my surprise parrot I used the Peek-a-Boo Round die.

It took some planning for this as the Peek-a-Boo die will across separate panels of the house.  These are all separate pieces that get glued next to, not on top of one another when you attach them to the card base.  But you need to cut the Peek-a-Boo flap before gluing the panels to the base.

To accomplish this, I flipped them over, lined them up and very carefully used thin double sided tape (I use Tear & Tape) to keep them together including the hole.  I left the backing on the tape and ran the taped panel through my die cutter.  I used the "PEEK" die at the same time so I would have that word in negative.  (I did not want to glue down those tiny letters!)

Then I cut out another Peek-a-Boo flap from scrap cardstock.  I clipped it off, trimmed it slightly smaller and adhered it to the underside of the flap on my birdhouse.  You can see that this gives a nice finish to the underside of the flap.  You don't see my tape and from the front you can read the word.

I stenciled the house using Distress Oxide inks to give it a vintage Hawaiian feel.  I was trying to get a thatched grass look.  I also edged the die cut flowers and leaves in colors close to the cardstock colors for a bit of depth.

I hope you've enjoyed my card today!  I love hearing from you, so please leave a comment below.

Products used:

  • Birdhouse: The Stamps of Life Birdhouse 5 x 7 Fold-It
  • Stamps: TSOL Tropical2stamp (aloha); Morebirds2stamp (parrot)
  • Dies: TSOLTropical2stamp matching dies, Peek-a-Boo Round Set
  • Inks: Distress Oxide Vintage Photo, Ground Espresso, TSOL Tangerine, Sunshine, Guava, Green Apple
  • Cardstock: TSOL, Gingersnap, Guava, Tangerine, Sunshine, Lemonade, Green Apple, Kiwi
  • Copic Markers (parrot): Y13, Y15, Y19; YG11, YG13, YG17; RV02, RV06, RV09; E59
Thanks for visiting! Click here to sign up for email notifications of future posts (you will be sent an email to verify your address - don't forget this step).  Follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook and Bloglovin'


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment