6/08/2020

Watercolor Splat Technique

The card I'm posting today uses a technique that I haven't used in quite some time, but with a twist.  I call it the "splat" technique for lack of a better word.  And the reason I decided to use it again is that Splitcoaststampers started a new watercolor challenge thread and this is their very first challenge!

This technique is super easy.  You need some sort of waterproof mat/surface (I use my Ranger craft mat) and dye inks.  Simply wipe a large swatch of ink on the mat with your ink pad and spray with water.  When using multiple colors keep each separate on your mat.  Previously, I would take my paper and blot it in the ink colors.

The twist is a new method of applying the ink.  I took a small piece of acetate window sheet (about 3 x 4), dipped it into the ink on the mat and then blotted that on my mixed media paper (you can also use watercolor paper).  I blotted the color, swiped the color, rolled the color; I just kept adding color using the window sheet as my "brush".  Here I used only two colors - Old Olive and Mango Melody.

The ink splatted on the mat gets used up very quickly so I would add more ink and water.  For tonal differences I would sometimes use a lot of water and other times, not so much.  I also used my heat gun every once in awhile to set everything.  All these combined gives wonderful variation!

I let all blending be done on my paper.  I did not pick up two colors at one time with the window sheet.  I was afraid that would muddy my colors.

As a bonus for me, I was able to use my new Spellbinders Glimmer Hot Foil System on this card.  (My Mother's Day gift finally arrived.)  I'm so excited about using this system.  I love the looks that can be achieved and am really looking forward to making holiday cards with the foil!  All that said, I will have other posts where I talk about using it (there is a learning curve in spite of what YouTube has you believe - LOL!)

Since this card is also for the Color Challenge this week at Splitcoaststampers I needed to use Poppy Parade.  My flowers are watercolored in a combo of Poppy Parade and Mango Melody right over the foil - one of the cool things about foiling!

Foil Plates: Foliage Border, Yana's Sentiments
Ink: Stampin' Up! Old Olive, Mango Meloday, Poppy Parade
Paper: Strathmore Mixed Media, Very Vanilla
Foil: Spellbinders Polished Brass

Thanks for visiting today! Click here to sign up for email notifications of future posts (you will be sent an email to verify your address - don't forget this step).  Follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook and Bloglovin'.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment