2/05/2019

Same Card, New Colors - What a Difference!

A couple of weeks ago I posted about a color challenge card that just didn't work with the colors in the challenge.  In my opinion it ended up looking not so great for a birthday card (although my hubby said it was fine).  So I remade that card using this week's colors at CAS Colours & Sketches  challenge and I'm much happier with the result.
Here are the colors that are posted this week:
The original color challenge was Gray Granite, Mango Melody and Blackberry Bliss.  All great colors.
I have maintained that just about any color can look good with any other color given the right third color, the appropriate amounts of each and a fitting design.  I think where this went wrong was in the background choice.  To me, Mango Melody is SO BRIGHT that I only use it in small quantities -  wouldn't use it as a background.  I tried a Blackberry Bliss background but that was too dark.  Ultimately, the gray just doesn't look birthday festive.  This card falls short in the "fitting design" category for those colors.  However, they looked great in the card I eventually made for the challenge.
When I was given the colors for this week's challenge at CC&S I knew exactly what to do.  I have a friend whose birthday is on Valentine's Day.  These colors could be birthday festive AND Valentine's Day!  I remade the card and just changed a few things - switched the inside and outside sentiments and used a punch on the sentiment strip.
Finally, to make it a bit more Valentine's, I added a few iridescent hearts instead of sequins.  I plan to make more of this birthday card.  The layout is quick (I took it from a sketch challenge on Splitcoast Stampers) and the stamp set is great for male or female, young or old.  Just change up the colors to suit the recipient.

The following supplies are for both the cake and the bike cards.

Stamps and Punch:
Piece of Cake Bundle
Stamps:
Piece of Cake
Bike Ride
Needle and Thread
Punch:
Cake Builder
Dies:
Build a Bike
Paper:
Stampin' Up! 2018-2020 DSP
Stampin' Up! 2017-2019 DSP
Stampin' Up! Neutrals DSP
Stampin' Up! Brights DSP
Stampin' Up! Regals DSP

Thanks for visiting today!  Click here to sign up for email notifications of future posts (you will be sent an email to verify your address - don't forget this step).  Follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook and Bloglovin'.

post signature

2 comments:

  1. Great set of cards, Jeanne. The cake looks delicious! Thanks for having me as this month's guest designer. Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome card, Jeanne! Love your use of these colors. And I love how you post your cards that don't work for you and give the reason - helps us all learn!!

    ReplyDelete