A Tale of Two Challenges

Today I feature cards for two color challenge DesignTeams.  The colors were SO close it was tempting to try and make just one card for both.  However, you can't combine color challenges pretty much by definition.  The challenge is to make a card using just those colors (plus neutrals) so adding a color breaks the challenge rules.  This week the color challenge at CAS Colours & Sketches is Daffodil Delight, Pear Pizzazz and So Saffron.   The challenge at SplitcoastStampers is Daffodil Delight, Pear Pizzazz and White.  See my dilemma?  But I couldn't add So Saffron to SCS and I couldn't omit it from CC&S, so two cards with one theme.

Floral or frogs (there are some pretty cute frog sets out there right now) were my first thoughts.  However, I've been traveling the past two weeks and I didn't get to color.  And I really love to color!  Stamping Bella images are among my favorites - they are fun and lend themselves to different media.  For these I used Copic markers and Prismacolor pencils.

This one is for the CC&S challenge.  Her wings use both the Daffodil Delight and So Saffron.  For the background paper I used Stampin' Up! DSP in So Saffron and Pear Pizzazz.  Pencils give her give extra definition.  With the limited palette I wanted to make sure that there was some contrast in areas where there wasn't much of tonal difference.  The pencils allowed me to add slight shadows in a neutral with a very light touch.  While I love my markers, sometimes I just can't get that fine or subtle detail from them.

This girl for SplitcoastStampers presented her own set of challenges. Since I didn't have two yellows to deal with it started out going much easier and faster.  But then IT happened - the dreaded Copic marker blurble!  After coloring her wings my N7 marker splotched the wing!

I opted to try and save it, and feel I did a fairly decent job.  I was planning to cut her out so I knew the majority of it would be cut away.  I used a Copic blender to push the ink back/dilute it.  I then used my N7 marker (with both caps off now!) to add some color to rest of the edge of her wings.  I planned that the majority of the edge color would be pencil since that area is so narrow.  When the marker base was laid down I went back in with the pencils.  After she was cut out I used a white pencil to help mask the splotch.  It's not perfect but I think it looks okay.  I spent less time fixing it than if I had to start over again.

After assembling the cards my final step was to add sparkle with a few rhinestones and LOTS of Wink of Stella!

Copics: Daffodil Delight - Y00, Y11, Y15, Y18; Pear Pizzazz - G40, G43, G82, G94; So Saffron - YR30, YR31, Y21, Y23 Others used - E000, E21, E50, E35, E37, E29, N7, Blender 0
Prismacolors: Yellows - 914, 916, 1034, 1012, 1034, 997, Greens - 1005, 989, 1097, Neutrals - 946, 948, 934, 1065, 1067
Stamps & matching dies: Stamping Bella Tiny Townie Butterfly Girls Babette and Brianna

Thanks for visiting today!  Click here to sign up for email notifications of future posts (you will be sent an email to verify your address - don't forget this step).  Follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook and Bloglovin'.

post signature


  1. You did a great job fixing the Copic "blob" Jeanne - of course it had to be a super dark gray, not a light yellow or something! Both cards are just so adorable, I love those SB Tiny Townies and your beautiful coloring!

  2. I really need you to teach me how to color!! :) Gorgeous cards! And I love how they are subtly different from just the one color difference!

  3. Beautiful set of cards! Your colouring is amazing.