1/10/2022

Masculine Valentine's Card

Mary at Splitcoaststampers gave us an interesting color challenge this week, to make a masculine Valentine's Day card.  And the colors she chose - Rich Razzleberry, Pacific Point and Daffodil Delight - aren't exactly the colors of most Valentine cards.  I decided to use "For the Record" from Stampin' Up!'s new Spring Mini catalog to make an interactive card.  

This set is one of my favorites! It is great for a music lover of any gender or age.  And if you think the younger set won't understand records - my 28 year old daughter just bought a record player and is starting to rummage through thrift stores for classic rock albums (she knows she can't have mine - LOL!)

I started the card by making my own DSP using the Sweet Conversations stamp set.  This ensured that I was meeting my color challenge requirements!  I used three different outline conversation hearts and randomly stamped them in each of the colors.

I then went on to the create the record.

The record looks great when embossed in black on black cardstock but it did take a couple of tries.  First, make sure you have a nice, juicy Versamark pad for your impression.  I used my Stamparatus and needed to stamp the image three times to get enough ink.  I would recommend NOT using an embossing buddy on this image if you're doing black on black embossing.  I used one with my first try and just couldn't get rid of the "haze" from the powder.  And it's really not necessary since this image is not a finely detailed one.

I cut out the record and its center using the largest and smallest of the Layering Circles dies.  The smallest of the dies will cut out a middle hole slightly larger then the inner most circle of the stamp.  For my label I needed just the heart and not any of the record part of the stamp showing.  To do this I used a black marker, colored just the heart and stamped.  The heart is colored using the Daffodil Delight Dark Stampin' Blend.  I cut it out using a circle punch and glued it behind the record.
 Making the record move easily AND be raised off the card took a little engineering.  I created a washer from five circles of cardstock glued together and punched a hole through the center.  Then I punched a hole through the center of my record. Using a small brad I attached the the record to the washer.  You need to make sure not to attach the brad tightly or your record won't move easily.  I then used strong Tear Tape to attach the washer to the card front panel.  By not attaching the brad directly to the card front I could adjust the position of the record and I didn't have to worry about covering up a brad.  Raising the record allows for easier interaction!

I know this post is long but I wanted to provide some direction on how to create the card.  It looks fairly simple (and is) but does require a bit of planning.

Products used: All Stampin' Up!  Right now is Sale-A-Bration.  Earn a FREE product with each $50 you spend!  Click the link above for more details.

Thanks for visiting today!  Follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook and Bloglovin'


post signature

2 comments:

  1. this is such a work of love Jeanne- so creative that the record actually spins

    ReplyDelete
  2. this card is so creative and fun! My DH and I are also huge music fans, classic rock here, too! I keep looking at that stamp set and now you've convinced me to buy it. Thanks so much for your detailed instructions on making the record spin!

    ReplyDelete