2/08/2021

Laurel Burch Butterflies Color Challenge Card

Good evening!  I'm super excited to be the hostess this week for Splitcoaststampers Color Challenge!  I did a bit of alliteration this week and chose Blueberry Bushel, Bumble Bee and Bermuda Bay.  For the added dessert I asked for another "B" color.

My card uses a Laurel Burch artwork stamp from Stampendous.  Do you remember her art from the 80s and 90s?  (Am I showing my age?)  I have always loved her use of color and the bold, graphic nature of the designs.  So when I saw some of the images made into stamps a few years ago, I bought several.  I'm happy I did as I couldn't find any on the Stampendous website now.

I decided that for the bold colors I chose - and I added Berry Burst for my dessert - her images would be perfect.  I used markers to color match to the challenge colors and then used the reinkers to create a wash for the background.

I was torn between these butterflies and a couple of other images, but I thought I might need a few more colors on the other images I considered.  I've set them aside and hope to get to them soon.

These butterflies were fun to color and have dies to match but the dies only cut the wings / body; not the antennae.  And they do not cut with a white outline but on the stamped line.  To make the cut image clean I went around the edge with a black marker so any slight bit of white was covered up.  I used a multi-liner pen to hand draw the antennae.  I popped up the one overlapping butterfly using foam dots.

The markers I used were a combination of Copics and Spectrum Noir Tr-Blends.  I just purchased a few and am trying them out.  They are very similar to the original Stampin' Up alcohol markers with a light, medium, and dark tone, but these are all in one marker.  They nest in one another so you really have three short markers.  Since they only have one nib per color, you have to choose if you want to purchase the bullet nib or brush versions.  I purchased the bullet since my Copic have brush tips and on some stamps those are just too big.  These also fill in a few "holes" in the Copic colors but most of the colors I purchased were very close to Copic colors.  On the plus side they seem to blend just as nicely as Copics.   So far, I like them, but I'll keep you advised as I try them out a bit more.

I hope you will join us in the challenge this week!

Products used:

  • Stamps and Dies: Stampendous Laurel Burch
  • Stamps: Stampin' Up! Butterfly Basics
  • Markers: Spectrum Noir Tri-Blends - True Blue Blends, True Blue Shades, Turquoise Green; Copic markers - RV63, RV66, Y21, Y26
  • Ink: Stampin' Up! Berry Burst, Bermuda Bay, Blueberry BUshel
  • Paper: Whisper White, Strathmore Mixed Media

Thanks for visiting today! Click here to sign up for email notifications of future posts (you will be sent an email to verify your address - don't forget this step).  Follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook and Bloglovin'

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment