10/30/2018

Mermaid Dreams

I was going to post this Monday and say it was "Magical Monday" but my internet connection was so poor last night I couldn't do it.  AUGH!!!! technology...  And that's why I love my art!  It's low tech.
This card is for the color challenge at Splitcoast Stampers this week - Bermuda Bay, Cherry Cobbler and Blueberry Bushel.  This really was challenging for me and I had a tough time thinking of an image to use.  Then I came across this Laurel Burch stamp.

I have loved her artwork since the 80s and when I discovered that some of it was being released in stamps I was so excited!  If you are not familiar with her, her art is very graphic, colorful and whimsical.  Unfortunately she passed away in 2007, but has left beautiful art as her legacy.

When coloring this I tried to stay somewhat true to her style.  I used ZIG Kuretake brush markers in order to get depth of shading.  The most difficult part of the card for me was the layout.  I wanted it to be somewhat organic.  I used a swirl embossing folder on Vanilla card stock and the distressed that with sand paper and some Distress Oxide Antique Linen ink.  The mermaid panel was too pristine so instead of die cutting out the panel I ripped the edges - always a hard thing to do!
The dessert option this week is to add some shimmer or sparkle so after tearing I touched the edges with both Antique Linen and shimmer paint.  It is all mounted to a shimmery piece of card stock that my mother-in-law gave me.  I have no idea what it is, but it's pretty!  I cut the word Dream from the same card stock.

Stamp: Stampendous Laurel Burch Mermaid
Die: Penny Black
ZIG Kuretake Brush Pens: Persian Blue, Turquoise Green, Wine Red, Olive Green, Beige, Flesh Color, Dark Brown
Ink: Distress Oxide Antique Linen, Stampin' Up! Frost White Shimmer Paint
Embossing Folder: Stampin' Up!Swirls and Curls


Thanks for visiting today!  Click here to sign up for email notifications of future posts (you will be sent an email to verify your address - don't forget this step).  Follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook and Bloglovin'.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment