12/15/2020

Adding Texture to a CAS Card

I have two cards for you today.  They were both made for last week's CAS challenge at Splitcoaststampers.  The theme was "sweater weather."  And what better way to say that than an ugly Christmas sweater!

Sometime in the last thirty years, those expensive (at the time), themed sweaters have become quite kitschy.  I gave most of mine to my daughter who works with adolescents.  They love when she wears her "ugly" sweaters.  So much for fashion....

Now to my cards.  I thought this die would be great for the challenge even though it didn't specify ugly in the title.  I started with one card and ended up making two because as often happens, two goes almost as fast as one!

Both cards are all die cuts.  I wanted to add texture to the sweaters so before I assembled them I ran the body pieces through my Cut 'n Emboss with an embossing folder.  It reminds me of boucle fabric - much like some of the sweaters I used to own!

For card #1 I used the sentiment that came with the die.  Since I placed the sweater on a cross-stitched square set at an angle, I added cross-stitched lines on the top and bottom.
For the card #2 I embossed a pattern that had a sweater feel to it.  The curves in the embossing mirror the curves on the sweater.

On both cards, rather than using foam squares, I popped up some of the die cuts using three layers of cardstock underneath.  Here you can see the texture on the sweaters.

 I think the second card is my favorite although I have to admit that I had a reindeer sweater VERY similar to card #1 years ago!

Products used:

  • Dies: Cottage Cutz Ugly but Cute Sweater, Cottage Cutz Cross Stitched Squares, Essentials by Ellen Stitching Lines
  • Cardstock: Whisper White, Real Red, Chocolate Chip, Very Vanilla, Crumb Cake, Shaded Spruce, Poppy Parade
  • Accessories: Stampin' Up! embossing folders - Tasteful Texture and Little Details

Thanks for visiting today! Click here to sign up for email notifications of future posts (you will be sent an email to verify your address - don't forget this step).  Follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook and Bloglovin'

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment