4/12/2018

Pop-Up Pirate 3-D Thursday

I have a pop-up card for you today!  Basic pop-up cards are super easy to make.  This card use a die but I will show you how to create your own.  It's so easy you'll wonder why I wasted money on a die!
This is a birthday card for a friend who is a big Jimmy Buffett fan.  If you know Jimmy Buffett fans you know that you can't go wrong with Margaritas, sharks or pirates.  So this year I went with pirates!

The small die cuts are all colored with Copic markers.  Lots of fun to color and they went faster than the rest of the card!  I used distress inks and sponged the background using blue and a stencil for the clouds and Antique Linen for the sand.  I splattered some darker brown ink for "sand".
The front was just as much fun to make. The map is kraft paper roughly cut into a map shape.  Then I stamped various images from the set in Crumb Cake ink.  I used Lawn Fawn's Stitched Trails die to cut paths.  Finally I used Distress Inks to sponge the paper to give it an old look.  Once all that was done I mounted it to a card base.  It was just as enjoyable to create the cover as the inside.  So often with pop-up cards the cover gets neglected, but this was one where the front of the card was at least as much fun as the inside to make.

I used dies for this card but creating the pop-up brace is very easy.  Start with a base that is the same size as your card base and scored in the middle (For example, for an A2 card it would be 8 1/2 x 5 1/2 inches scored at the 4 1/4 inch mark.)  Then cut two parallel slits that extend the same distance above and below your score line.  Look closely at the photo below and you will see the lines.  I used my paper trimmer to do this.
The length of these will determine how far out your pop-up piece goes.  You can make these as large or as small as you want, but your die cut piece should cover them.  Cutting more than one and varying the size will give more depth to your pop-ups if you have more than one item you want popped up.  If you want a pop-up that extends the width of the card. then make two braces the same near each side of the card.
You'll want to score the top and bottom between your parallel slits to make folding easier. The brace you cut will be folded opposite the the fold on the card.  See above.

After that - it is just a matter of decorating the card!

All stamps and dies by Lawn Fawn: Ahoy Matey, Stitched Trails, Palm Trees, Ocean Hillside Pop-up add-on, Stitched Hillside Pop-up

Thanks for visiting today!  Click here to sign up for email notifications of future posts  (you will be sent an email to verify your address - don't forget this step).  Follow me on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment