11/29/2017

Feliz Navidad - Adding Detail in Multi-Step Stamping

Today's card features two gorgeous stamp sets from Altenew stamps - Build-A-Flower Poinsettia and Peace on Earth.  
I fell in love with the Poinsettia set as soon as I saw it.  It is a three step stamp with an outline that makes a beautifully detailed poinsettia.  The sentiment is from Peace on Earth, a set that has Merry Christmas in numerous languages including Afrikaans, Hawaiian and Spanish - all languages I need for cards!

The flower and the leaves are actually the same stamp just stamped in different colors, die cut and offset.  The the greens that I used for the leaves gave lots of good contrast but the three shades of red did not have the contrast I would have liked to show the detail of the petals.  In order to turn up the contrast I used a colored pencil that was a little bit darker than the darkest red used in the flower.
It was very simple.  I outlined the inside petals with the pencil then added a bit of pencil to the areas that I thought would have the deepest shadows.  Since the pencil was the same red only darker I did not need to be to concerned with blending it in well.  If  I had used a contrasting shade (perhaps a blue) I would have needed to be more aware of blending it into the red.
This shows the difference between one with the pencil (left) and one without (right).  The difference isn't dramatic but the pencil does enhance the detail of the flower.  And it literally only took a minute (if that) to do.

When I was finished with the pencil, I added Wink of Stella to the inner petals and Stickles to the center of the flower.

The background was created using two different shimmer mists and a stencil. I used various metallic washi tapes on the side to add a bit of a sheen.
I'd like to thank Altenew for sending the Peace on Earth set so quickly.  I realized quite late that I did not have a Feliz Navidad stamp for a card that I needed to send two days ago.  When I ordered the set I asked for priority shipping but also knew that with the Thanksgiving holiday there was a fair chance the set would not arrive in time.  I messaged Altenew and they shipped the set the same day!  Great service!  And I received it in time to make my deadline - thank you Altenew! 

Stamp/Die Sets: Altenew Build-A-Flower Poinsettia, Peace on Earth
Ink: Altenew Velvet, Crimson, Rouge, Evergreen, Forest Glades, Frayed Leaf
Shimmer Mist: Altenew Frayed Leaf
Stencil: Tim Holtz

Thanks for visiting today.  Don't forget to follow me on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest.  To be notified of new blog posts, please sign up for email notifications.
 


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment