11/03/2017

Working with Kuretake Clean Color Brush Pens

Happy Friday!  Today I have card that I made for my husband for our anniversary using Kuretake Clean Color Brush Pens.
It was a quick and fun card to make.  I love to color but sometimes I don't want to go into a lot of detail or take a lot of time.  This technique using the brush pens makes coloring very easy.
I stamped the dinos in a waterproof black ink and masked off the spots using a Molotow masking pen.  For the dinos I used two shades of color for each.  I colored around the edges using the darker of the two markers.  I pulled the color out just a little bit by using an aqua painter that was barely wet.  (I like to dip my aqua painter in water and use it as if it was a regular paintbrush.)  Then I used the lighter shade and blended the color out, again with the aqua painter.  The coloring goes pretty fast since the intended look is to have a sort of "halo" of color as opposed to a realistically shaded object.  When completed and dry, I used a rubber cement eraser to remove the masking pen and I then colored the dots.
For the background, I free form cut an horizon line from scrap card stock and used a Sharpie to trace it onto the background panel.  Using masking paper I cut masks and stamped several mountains.  I used the same technique as above but with only one color of marker each for the ground, mountains and sky.  One thing to note about using the browns with these pens - they have strong undertones that really come out when using water to blend them.  It doesn't show so much in the photo, but the mountains have a pink tone that came out in the blended out areas.  It still looks nice, but it something to be aware of and try out before deciding on a particular color to use.

The sentiment is heat embossed and the dinos are die cut and lifted off the panel using foam dots.

I love how this technique works well with graphic images like these dinosaurs.  It complements their cartoon feel by not being too realistically colored.  It keeps the whole card light and fun.

Stamps & Dies: My Favorite Things Prehistoric Fun
Kuretake Clean Color Brush Pens: Dinos 021 Lt. Carmine, 026 Lt. Pink, 050 Yellow, 041 Lt. Green, 045 Pale Green, 083 Lilac; Background 065 Mid Brown, 036 Lt. Blue, 046 Mid Green

Thanks for visiting today!  Follow me on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest.  To be notified of future blog posts please sign up for email notifications.

Have a great weekend!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment