7/23/2017

Copic Marker Coloring to Match Specific Colors

Good morning! I hope everyone had a great weekend.  Today's card was made for the July 18 color challenge on Splitcoast Stampers.  The challenge was to use Garden Green and Cherry Cobbler along with white (and for extra fun try to make it a Christmas card.)  While these are specific colors of Stampin' Up! inks/cardstock the challenge does say just to match as closely as possible if the inks or paper isn't available.  I wanted to use Copic markers in coloring the image so I knew needed match the colors.


match a specific color to copic markers
An easy way to match Copic markers to any color is to use a color chart with a hole punched in it.  The color chart I use can be downloaded from the US Copic marker distributor, Imagination International, but you could easily make your own. To make the chart I used the paper I normally use for coloring and filled in the squares with my markers and hole punched the center.  It's important to do this as opposed to using a pre-printed color chart.  This gives you an accurate representation of your coloring.


match a specific color to copic markers
Then you slip a sample of the color you're trying to match behind the chart.  You can easily see the closest match.  Rarely is any one color perfect but it's so easy to adjust.

Usually I color more than one of the image at the same time.  At least one becomes my trial image to experiment with color and shading.  If I'm lucky I'll have a couple of good images to use for cards. If an image just isn't coming out right I may have several "trials" and only one useful image!  As you can see below, I don't necessarily color the complete image when it's just to adjust color and shading.

match a specific color to copic markers

I'll color all images at the same time - so all my reds on the trial and actual image, then the skin tones, then the greens, etc.

I do like how this little guy turned out.  And I did use the actual shades of green and red paper for the background so I feel very challenge compliant.  (I can get a little particular about stuff like that!)

Stamps: My Favorite Things - Santa's Elves
Die:  Poppy - Believe Loose Script
Copic markers: Reds R35, R37, R39, R59; Greens G40, G43, G46; Fur trim N0, N1, N2; Skin E000, E11, R00; Hair E39,E47; Jingle bells Y21, Y26, Y28

Thanks for visiting!


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment