11/06/2018

A Little Bird and Card Challenges

It's Tuesday and another color challenge at CAS Colours & Sketches.  I made two cards this week.  Not by design but because after I finished my first card I realized that it was perhaps a bit off the mark for the challenge.  I went back to the drawing board (so to speak) and came up with this card.
The posted challenge:
Simple enough - fairly straight forward.  The birds above use a two step stamp set.  I used one color 
per bird and splattered the Balmy Blue ink using a watercolor brush.  The brush was wet when I dipped it in the ink but I did not add water to the ink so that the blue color wasn't diluted.  Since I didn't add water, I REALLY had to load the brush with ink to get it to splatter.

My first card (below) uses the same birds but a different sentiment set.  While I really like this card, there were several issues with it so I decided not to use it as my Design Team card this week.

I like to watercolor my backgrounds and did so here.  I know that blue and yellow combine to make green but in person you can see the layers of blue and yellow on the panel. The green in the background is not SO green.  I was afraid this made it look like I had added another color.  And after adding all the layers I decided the card was just a bit too far from being "clean and simple" - part of the name of the challenge! As part of the design team I didn’t want it looking like I went rogue!


That said, all card challenges (at least the ones I participate in) are for FUN!  While "following the rules" is what makes them challenges, fun is the most important element in them.  I enjoy entering them because they often get me to think outside of my comfort zone, use supplies that I haven't used before, or make part of the design decision for me allowing me to focus on other parts of the card.

Stamps: MFT Mod Birds, MFT Sassy Pants Best Friends, Picket Fence Levels of Friendship
Dies: MFT Mod Birds, MFT Peekaboo Window

Thanks for visiting today!  Click here to sign up for email notifications of future posts (you will be sent an email to verify your address - don't forget this step).  Follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook and Bloglovin'.


post signature

4 comments:

  1. Awesome cards! I love the fun layout of the DT card! And I'm so glad you posted your original - the watercolor background is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both of your cards made me smile! The sentiments crack me up. The background angles (on both cards) add a lot of interest. I like how the birds are popped up over the framed aperture on the DT card, and the watercolor background on the original card is really eye-catching. Two super cards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun and quirky cards, just awesome designs. Fab use of the colours too. Apologies for my delay in commenting. Hugs Bev x

    ReplyDelete